ITC ONE COLOMBO
ITC One Colombo: A truly pioneering development that brings many firsts to Sri Lanka
15th August 2022 – Colombo: The US$ 400 million+ ITC One Colombo project, which comprises of the Sapphire Residences residential tower and super luxury ITC hotel, is creating history by recording many firsts in Sri Lanka and is on course to be completed in 2023.
The majestic 50-storey Sapphire Residences tower and the parallel 30-storey high super luxury ITC hotel sit at the heart of Colombo’s prime Galle Face oceanfront. The most distinctive feature is the eye-catching AHASA ONE Sky Bridge – a one-of-its-kind in South Asia, which has been installed c.100 metres in the air and connects the two towers between the 19th & 21st levels. Widely celebrated as an engineering marvel that was featured in a recent TV documentary, AHASA ONE proudly announces that Sri Lanka is ready to join the ranks of world-class global destinations where outstanding landmarks are found.
Poised to become a visible and vibrant symbol of resurgent economic growth for the nation, this landmark project is being developed by WelcomHotels Lanka (Private) Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of ITC Limited, one of India’s foremost private sector companies with interests in Fast Moving Consumer Goods, Hotels, Paperboards and Packaging, Agri Business, and Information Technology.
A global leader in sustainability, ITC Limited is the only enterprise in the world of comparable dimensions to be carbon-positive, water-positive and solid waste recycling positive for over a decade. It is unsurprising therefore that WelcomHotels Lanka is dedicated to delivering the finest and greenest residential and hotel complex in Colombo. The company’s commitment guarantees a magnificent luxury residential development with 5-star hospitality services, all created around the unwavering principle of ‘Responsible Luxury’.
Sapphire Residences embodies these values and, in keeping with the company’s ethos, it has already achieved the prestigious and globally respected LEED® BD+C (Core and Shell Development) pre-certification at the highest Platinum level. The ITC hotel is also being designed to be certified as a LEED platinum building.
There is also a conscious effort to source materials based on the availability and quality parameters, with preference given to domestic sources. Indeed, the majority of the Project Team consists of local talent supported by a “Who’s Who” of world-class experts and engineers from across the world; these include Principal Architecture by Gensler (USA) working alongside revered local architect Surath Wickramasinghe, residential interiors by
YOO Inspired by Starck (UK), Principal Structural Engineers Thornton Tomasetti (USA), landscape design by Burega Farnell (Singapore), hotel interiors by Design Wilkes Malaysia, security design by Control Risks, with L&T Limited as General Contractor, ensuring effective knowledge transfer and the upgrading of local skills. “.
Other unique features of the development include:
- First of-its-kind diaphragm wall construction which ensures minimum disturbance to the existing ground water, while also providing a higher level of water tightness due to the availability of less joints, water bars and other such elements.
- HDPE Membrane Water Proofing
- LED architectural lights used for façade illumination which consumes less energy and lights up the building in a way that makes it stand out from every angle
- State-of-the-art hydro pneumatic system and sewage treatment plants
- Rainwater harvesting – 100% recycled water is consumed for Irrigation, flushing and cooling
- High-end technology features including flexible and highly adaptive technology for audio visual systems, home & guest automation system for Sapphire Residences and
- Multiple high speed elevators, allowing for rapid movement of people in the
- Four underground basements for parking to facilitate avoidance of traffic congestion on the
- Helipad on the roof of the hotel tower to enable VIP movements, emergency services, providing a valuable centrally located
Subi George, Managing Director, WelcomHotels Lanka Pvt. Ltd. comments ” WelcomHotels Lanka remains committed to the vision and status of this landmark development, which has already delivered many milestones which are first of its kind in the country. This has been achieved despite the significant external challenges that we continue to face during these uncertain times. We are confident that this development will generate a surge of positivity and pride within Colombo, as well as benefiting the wider economy, not least through the creation of thousands of jobs. We look forward to being part of Sri Lanka’s bright future.”