PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS 2022: DROUPADI MURMU, FORMER GOVERNOR OF JHARKHAND, IS THE NEXT PRESIDENT
NDTV – July 22, 2022
India got its first tribal President yesterday as NDA choice Droupadi Murmu scooped up over 60 per cent of the total vote value. Opposition’s Yashwant Sinha conceded defeat after three rounds of counting. The President-elect will take oath on July 25
Here are the Top 10 points in this big story:
- Droupadi Murmu got 64.03 per cent of total vote value after three rounds of counting. Yashwant Sinha ended up with 35.97 per cent. Ms Murmu received 2,824 votes with a value of 4,83,299. Mr Sinha received 1,877 votes with a value of 1,89,876. A value of 5,43,000 is required for a victory.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, along with senior members of his Cabinet and BJP chief JP Nadda, visited Ms Murmu to congratulate her. Celebrations broke out across the country, complete with sweets and colourful tribal dances. At 64, Ms Murmu will be the youngest and India’s first president to be born after Independence.
- “Smt. Droupadi Murmu Ji has been an outstanding MLA and Minister. She had an excellent tenure as Jharkhand Governor. I am certain she will be an outstanding President who will lead from the front and strengthen India’s development journey,” PM Modi tweeted.
- “I heartily congratulate Srimati Droupadi Murmu on her victory in the Presidential Election 2022. I hope — indeed, every Indian hopes — that as the 15th President of India she functions as the Custodian of the Constitution without fear or favour. I join my fellow countrymen in extending best wishes to her,” read a statement from Opposition candidate Yashwant Sinha.
- Governors, cabinet ministers, chief ministers and leaders of various political parties sent congratulatory messages for Ms Murmu. Opposition leaders, including Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and NCP chief Sharad Pawar also congratulated her.